By Benedict Wee
Despite Amazon thinking us unworthy to ship their e-Readers to our shores, you can take comfort in the fact that their latest iPhone/iPod Touch application brings us the same functionalities as their physical device does.
Kindle for the iPhone allows you to:
- Buy a Kindle book from your Mac, PC or iPhone using a web browser and wirelessly transfer the books to your iPhone
- Read the beginning of any book for free before you buy
- Download the Kindle books you already own for free - they are automatically backed up on Amazon.com
- Adjust the text size and add bookmarks
- Tap and hold on a word to create a note or a highlight. Whispersync will back up and synchronize annotations with your other Kindle devices
- Read in portrait or landscape mode
- Select alternate background and text colors to improve reading comfort in low light conditions
- Tap on either side of the screen to flick pages
- Pinch to zoom images in books
The app is free and you pay only for the books you download which cost around US$9.99/NZ$13.75 for New York Times Best Sellers and most new releases.
Engadget Mobile - Kindle for iPhone takes over the world, hits over 60 new countries